Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Let's begin

SEE THIS POST IN POLISH

As was seen in previous post, the script to automatically develop elements in Sketchup works.
But since the programming is not the main part of ​​this blog, I decided to start with something more practical.
So we go with the Su-17M. Why this plane? Hmmm ...
It seems to me that a simple fuselage and overall shape decided ...
The place, which surely will bring the problems will be wings.
I think intensively over the folding mechanism of the wings. Maybe I will able to synchronize both sides.




The first stage of design is documentation. Aligning views (up-down-front-page) and appropriate scaling of them is made in any graphics software.
To make modelling easier I removed the background in each of the view and saved it as PNG, which allowed to maintain transparency. Then I inserted everything into SketchUp.

The next step was to trace the shape of the fuselage in views from the top and side. I chose this way of modeling, since the individual sections of the fuselage, available in this set of plans do not fit well to top and side view of plane. So I decided to approach the fuselage modelling from another direction. Because the fuselage sections are approximately round - elliptical, I will draw hull first and then create it's cross-sections.
The outline of the fuselage is dwith BZ CURVES - Sketchup extension that allows you to draw spines and other curves.
I pulled both shapes and made intersection. Then I drew vertical planes in places where I planned bulkheads and after another intersection and removing not necesary geometry I received a series of rectangles.
In the individual rectangles I drew elipses. To do  this, I used to be another extension for SketchUp: TOOLS ON SURFACES.

Fuselage was constructed on defined sections using yet another Sketchup extension: CURVILOFT.
You can also try a different script: SKIN.
Here you can see the effect already made with the wings.










Construction of wings in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment